Type 2 diabetes develops very slowly over time. Those people who have the disease are overweight or obese As your fat increases your body makes it hard to use the insulin.
It can also develop in people who are not overweight or obese like in older adults.
Your genes and history of your family also play a role in type 2 diabetes.
If you are not active or your level of activity is too low probably you will get the disease.
The food intake, excess weight and big belly fat around the waist increase your chance of getting the disease. These are some if not all on how you get type 2 diabetes.
Watch your weight and specially the food that you are eating. As, the saying goes “You are what you eat”. Diet is very important on each everyone of us. It is not about how delicious the food is but, it is about the vitamins and minerals that we are getting.
We have only one body and so we have to take good care of our body.
Human being only live once but we die so many times because of the pains, diseases, heartaches, problems, failures, and all those negative aspects in our lives.
Take good care of the one and only body. It’s the only one you have! Only one!
Is There Symptoms for Diabetes?
Well, there are different types of diabetes and I think each has its own different symptoms and probably different ways to treat them. But, we will focus on the most common type which is type 2 diabetes.
Let’s start with Hyperglycemia. It is when your blood sugar is too high. Hyperglycemia means – high (hyper), glucose (gly) and in the blood (emia). Our body needs glucose to properly function. Your cells depend on glucose for energy.
- Thirsty – High blood sugar causes increased thirst. When the sugar levels in your body are too high, the body has a hard time keeping itself hydrated. The kidneys are working too hard to rid your body of excess sugars and in doing so also removes water from the body. Our body need to be hydrated, otherwise our body will look for in other parts of your anatomy like in cells and this will lead to dehydration.
- Frequent Urination – As you drink more because you are thirsty and of course to avoid dehydration you have to urinate frequently. And as your kidney is getting rid of excess sugar, some of it flow into the urine. Now, when the sugar ends up in the urine, it draws more water.
- Fatigue – If your sugar levels are too high (Hyperglycemia) or too low you will feel tired. Now, if your blood sugar is too high, your blood circulation slow down. Why? Because, oxygen and nutrients are not transported properly. Also, high blood sugar cause an inflammation in the vessels. Result – fatigue. When, your sugar level is too low the cells don’t have the energy.
- Hungry all the time – Type 2 diabetes can make you feel hungry. Why? Because the sugars are not getting to the parts of your body as required. If your blood sugars are low, it is normal to feel hungry.
- Vision – We have to remember that if our blood sugar levels are too high, our blood gets thicker. And so, your body starts pulling water from the areas of tissue including the eyes.
- Weight – People gain weight if they are on medication. And being overweight is a precursor to type 2 diabetes.
- Infections – Poor blood circulation allows bacteria to grow in the blood. Take note, that if your blood sugar is too high your blood circulation slow down. High blood sugar make it very hard for white blood cells to fight all infections.
- Numbness – Due to high blood glucose levels type 2 diabetes can cause numbness. It is a sign of poor blood circulation. How to know that you have poor blood circulation? Well, if you have a regular tingling sensation on your arms, hands or feet that means you have poor blood circulation.
Again, if you experience any of these symptoms, you have to visit your family doctor. Only your doctor can tell what you are going to do next. Make sure that any decisions you make with regard to your health has been prescribed by your doctor.
Controlling the Food You Eat
Before controlling your diet, you have to consult with a dietitian on which food you have to avoid and foods that you have to take and your meal plan. Sweetened beverages are the best example you need to avoid.
All berries like blueberries and strawberries are the food choices that can help to control blood sugar. Broccoli, avocado, cabbage and cauliflower are some vegetables that can also help you achieved better blood sugar.
As we all know, diabetes is a disorder of metabolism. Well, it involves problems with insulin, that is why it is very important for all people with diabetes to manage their condition by staying healthy and that includes a proper diet.
Broccoli can help lower insulin levels and this vegetable is rich in vitamin C and magnesium. Broccoli protect cells during metabolism.
Hard boiled egg is a high protein food and good if you have diabetes. The protein in eggs slows glucose absorption.
Green leafy vegetables like spinach or kale is best for a diabetic diet.
Salmon is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and best for heart health. People with diabetes have risk of heart disease and stroke and fatty fish like salmon is good.
Cinnamon can improve insulin sensitivity and of course lower blood sugar. It is also rich in antioxidants
Turmeric is a beneficial spice with powerful health benefits along with cinnamon. The active ingredient curcumin helps lower blood sugar. It is also good for kidney health.
Raspberries have the most fiber of all the berry. Fiber is the indigestible carbohydrate that helps pull cholesterol away from the heart. It also slows down how quickly blood sugar rise and leaves you to feel full. Mix it with Greek yogurt or eat it on their own as an afternoon snack.
Greek Yogurt is an excellent snack I should say for all people with diabetes.
Regular Blood Sugar Test
Regular check of your blood sugar is the first step to treat type 2 diabetes. As mentioned above, of course controlling the food you eat and monitoring as well. This is important as this disease is a dietary disease.
Well, your doctor will determine how often people need to make blood sugar test. Your doctor will also tell you the normal ranges for adults who have type 2 diabetes.
Testing before breakfast is important because fasting blood glucose levels give you the best picture of the treatment you need. Actually testing times include before meals, at bedtime and following a workout. I f you choose to test after a meal, wait one to two hours to make sure you will get an accurate blood sugar reading.
You can also do a finger prick test which involves a meter to test a drop of blood from needle prick of the finger. But there are a burden to some people with diabetes because maybe fear of needles, costs of blood strips and needles.
Living a Healthy Life
We can do a lot of things to have a healthy life. Some of them are eating healthy foods, being physically active, maintain healthy weight and of course managing your stress. But, it’s not about healthy eating or being active but it’s about taking care of your body as a whole like physical, mental, spiritual and mental well-being.
But, there are several ways to live a healthy life and some of them are mentioned below and self-explanatory.
- Drink more water
- Have a good sleep
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Avoid process food
- Avoid sweetened beverages and sugary foods
- Stop smoking
Now you know on how and why do some people have type 2 diabetes. We learned some if not all the symptoms of diabetes and clearly explained
The most important thing is that the food that you are eating, and be physically active.
Always consult your doctor if you have the symptoms and arrange a regular blood test for type 2 diabetes normally every 3 months.